Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Better today

So after all my dread my step one work was not all that bad. My sponsor called and said ok so you still want to meet? I said well if you want to, I'm actually kinda dreading it. Get your ass over here and lets do this she said. Ok I said. And I went.

I read her what I had written and we talked about the Big Book and 12 and 12 chapters pertaining to step one. I talked to her about my dread of the afternoon. She said it's normal when we have to open up about ourselves. Hmmm. Who knew? So I asked her if I passed step one and she said yes! Onto step two. I think that will be shorter and easier because I really think I already do believe a power greater than myself can restore me to sanity but I will have to read the chapters, etc...

The meeting after was good. A lady got her 43 year chip. Hard to imagine 43 years sober. I'm not even 43 years old and 30 days was a big milestone for me. But apparently it can be done. Inspiring.

So tomorrow is Thanksgiving. My family doesn't drink so that will be fine. After may or may not be a challege. Still don't know if alcohol is even sold here on Thanksgiving but doesn't matter cause I won't be drinking.

Last year on Thanksgiving I was a couple of weeks sober and had pre-sober planned a get together at my house with friends to eat and check out black Friday ads, etc. Well I became convinced (after stressing all week about whether I should or shouldn't) on Wednesday I would not be able to not drink because everyone else would be and so I bought beer and wine. After Thanksgiving dinner at my house and the family went home I took a nap. When I woke up out came the beer. Turns out not everyone drank. One friend nursed a glass of wine all evening, someone brought a couple of beers, a couple???, and someone had maybe one cup of coffee with some Baileys. One??? The other 3 or 4 guests did not drink. Needless to say I was the big drinker of the the evening. Very shocking I know....

Well this year I have 32 days (33 tomorrow) of sobriety and no get together and no drinking will be done and I am VERY THANKFUL for that!!!

I wish you all, well not like that many people are reading this but still, a very happy and sober Thanksgiving.

Day 32

1 comment:

  1. I read somewhere that there is always someone who will nurse a drink for the entire evening just so the eager alcoholics won't pester them to refill their glass.
    Or those types who have two beers and stop - I could not relate...
    I am going to go to a meeting soon, just not yet.

    ReplyDelete